Chat with us, powered by LiveChat




Translucent logo on paper created during manufacturing by slight embossing from a dandy roll while the paper is still approximately 90 percent water.

Web Press

Press that prints from rolls of paper, usually cutting it into sheets after printing. Also called reel-fed press. Web presses come in many sizes, the most common being mini, half, three quarter (also called 8-pages) and full (also called 16-pages).

Wire Side

The side of the paper that rests against The Fourdrinier wire during papermaking, as compared to the felt side.

With the Grain

Parallel to the grain direction of the paper being used, as compared to against the grain. See also Grain Direction.

Wood Brace

A 3/4” wood brace with a cleat to float images off the wall. For prints larger than 40×50. We suggest aluminum if the piece is to be archival.

Woodfree Paper

Made with chemical pulp only. Paper usually classified as calendered or supercalendered.

Working Film

An intermediate film that will be copied to make the final film after all corrections are made. Also called buildups.


Paper manufactured without visible wire marks, usually a fine textured paper.

Wrong Reading

An image that is backward when compared to the original. Also called flopped and reverse reading

Sign up to receive our Monthly Newsletter: